Wennington, a village and a small parish in Essex, on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, midway between Rainham and Purfleet stations, and 5 miles SSE of Romford. There is a post office under Rainham (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Rainham. Acreage, 1301; population, 310. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; tithe commuted at £421. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, which was restored in 1886 at a cost of about £1000, is an ancient building of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a small western embattled tower. It has a Jacobean pulpit, and a font of the 15th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wennington St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Romford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wennington from the following:
Online maps of Wennington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: