Wendens Ambo, Essex
Wendens Ambo, a parish, with a village, in Essex, at Audley End railway station on the G.E.R., 2 ½ miles SW of Saffron Walden. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Saffron Walden. It has a railway hotel, and comprises the ancient parishes of Great Wenden and Little Wenden, united in 1662. Acreage, 1439; population, 358 There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to Lord Braybrooke. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of StAlbans; gross value, £165. Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church, a small but ancient building of flint and stone in mixed styles, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a low embattled western tower with short spire, and contains a brass of 1410. It was restored in 1895-96.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wendens-Ambo St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wendens Ambo from the following:
Online maps of Wendens Ambo are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: