Wenden Lofts, Essex
Wenden Lofts, a parish in Essex, 4 miles NW by W of Audley End station on the G.E.R., and 6 W by N of Saffron Walden. Post town. Saffron Walden; money order office, Elmdon; telegraph office, Heydon. Acreage, 799; population of the civil parish, 67; of the ecclesiastical, with Elmdon, 662. There is a parish council of six members and a chairman. Lofts Hall, an ancient Elizabethan mansion of brick, dating from 1579, is a seat of the Wilkes family. The living is a rectory, united with Elmdon, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £280 with residence. The church, which stands in the grounds of Lofts Hall, is a building of cut flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, N and S porches, and a pinnacled western tower. It has a brass of 1450.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wenden-Lofts St. Dunstan|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wenden Lofts from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: