Weeley, a parish, with an ancient village, in Essex, on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R.,on which it has a station, 8 miles W from Walton steamboat pier, and 12 ESE of Colchester. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 1983; population of the civil parish, 623; of the ecclesiastical, 625. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Weeley family. Barracks and a garrison were here during the war with France. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £392 with residence. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church, which was rebuilt with the exception of the tower in 1881, is a building of brick in the Perpendicular style. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weeley St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weeley from the following:
Online maps of Weeley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: