Upminster, a parish, with a pleasant village and three hamlets in Essex, with a station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, 3 ½ miles SE from Romford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Romford. Acreage, 3375; population, 1409. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Upminster Hall, the property of the Branfill family, is an ancient timbered mansion dating from the reign of Henry VI. Other chief residences are Gaynes Park and Hill Place, both modern mansions in the Elizabethan style, standing in their own grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £847 with residence. The church, which was partly rebuilt in 1862, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and western tower. It contains many ancient brasses and memorials, and a font of the Perpendicular period. There is a Congregational chapel. Derham, the author of " Physico-Theology," was rector.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upminster St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Romford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upminster from the following:
Online maps of Upminster are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: