Ugley or Oakley, Essex
Ugley or Oakley, a parish in Essex, 2 miles N of Stansted station on the main line of the G.E.R., and 5 ½ NNE of Bishop Stortford. It has a post office, of the name of Oakley, under Bishop Stortford; money order and telegraph office, Stansted, Quendon. Acreage, 2122; population, 398. Orford House, a fine old country mansion, was erected by Admiral Russell, commander of the allied English and Dutch fleets in the battle of La Hogue, 19 May, 1692. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £116 with residence. Patron, Christ's Hospital. The church, dedicated to St Peter, an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consists of chancel, nave, transept, S chapel, S porch, organ chamber, and an embattled western tower,. which is brick in the Tudor style. Bollington, a hamlet of Oakley, about half a mile SW, was the property of King Harold, and was originally a parish with a church. The chapel on the S side of Oakley Church was erected with part of the material of the church at Bollington. Oakley Green is a hamlet about a mile S.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ugley St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ugley or Oakley from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: