Toppesfield, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 1 ½ mile SW of Yeldham station on the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., 8 miles NW from Halstead, and 50 from London. It has a post office under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Great Yeldham. Acreage, 3361; population, 796. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £560 with residence, in the gift of the Crown. The church, erected in 1519 and restored in 1895, is a building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower of brick, built in 1699 after the fall of the original steeple. It has a very ancient font and some old tombs and memorials. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Toppesfield St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Toppesfield from the following:
Online maps of Toppesfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: