Tilbury juxta Clare, Essex
Tilbury-juxta-Clare, a parish in the northern part of Essex, 2 miles N by E of Yeldham station on the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., and 3 ½ S by W of Clare. Post town, Halstead; money order and telegraph office. Great Yeldham. Acreage, 1026; population, 163. Tilbury Court is a chief residence. The manor belongs to The Vaizey family. The living is a rectory, annexed with Allbrights to the rectory of Ovington, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £400 with residence. The church, erected in 1517, is an ancient building of rubble in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilbury juxta Clare from the following:
Online maps of Tilbury juxta Clare are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: