Theydon Mount, Essex
Theydon Mount, a parish in Essex, situated on the river Roding, and on the London road, 3 miles SE from Epping station, and 7 SW from Ongar. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Epping. Acreage, 1564; population of the civil parish, 135; of the ecclesiastical with Stapleford. Tawney, 351. The manor with Hill Hall, a quadrangular Tudor mansion, belongs to the Smijth family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, united with that of Stapleford Tawney; joint net value, £610 with residence, in the gift of the Smijth family. The church is a building of brick in the Jacobean style, consisting of chancel and nave and an embattled western tower. It contains numerous memorials of the Smijths.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mount Thoydon St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Theydon Mount from the following:
Online maps of Theydon Mount are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: