Theydon Garnon or Gernon, Essex
Theydon Garnon or Gernon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village is 2 miles SSE of Epping station on the G.E.R., and 6 SW from Ongar. A portion of the town of Epping, called Hemnall or Back Street, and the Epping railway station are included within the parish. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Epping. Acreage of the civil parish, 3168; population, 1371; of the ecclesiastical parish of Theydon Garnon, 699; of Coopersall, 672. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Coopersall House is a mansion of brick and stone in the Tudor style, standing in extensive grounds, which contain a large sheet of water. Gaynes Park is a mansion of stone in the Tudor style, standing on an eminence in a park of about 100 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £650 with residence and 64 acres of glebe. The church, which stands on rising ground, is a building of red brick and rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, two porches, and an embattled western tower with five bells. The tower was built in 1552 by Sir John Crosby of Crosby Hall, Bishopsgate Street, London. The church contains some very fine ancient monuments and memorials. Epping Union workhouse stands within this parish. The ecclesiastical parish of Coopersall is noticed under a separate heading.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thoydon-Garnon All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Theydon Garnon or Gernon from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: