Theydon Bois, Essex
Theydon Bois, a village and a parish, in Essex, on the Ongar branch of the G.E.R,, on which it has a station, 2 miles S of Epping, and 15 from London. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Epping. Acreage, 2198; population, 1079. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. A large portion of this parish consists of forest land, and the place is largely resorted to by excursionists during the summer months. There are some large refreshment rooms. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £145 with residence. The church is a modern building of red brick and stone, in the Early English style. There is a Baptist chapel, and there are four almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thoydon-Bois St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Theydon Bois from the following:
Online maps of Theydon Bois are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: