Sturmer, Stourmere, or Sturmere, a village and a parish in Essex, on the Stour Valley branch of the G.E.R., 1 ¼ mile SE of Haverhill. There is a station on the railway, and a post office of the name of Sturmer under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Haverhill. Acreage of the civil parish, 995; population, 342; of the ecclesiastical, 351. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Stanley family. Sturmer Hall, an old moated mansion, is now occupied as a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value£267 with residence. The church is an ancient building of nibble in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and western tower. It was restored in 1877 and 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Risbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sturmere from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: