Stifford, a parish, with an ancient village, in Essex, 2 miles N by W of Grays station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 10 SE of Romford. It has a post office under Grays; money order and telegraph office, Grays. Acreage, 1595; population, 376. Since the census the population has considerably increased. The manor and most of the land belong to the Whitmore family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £280 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone and flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, chapel, N porch, and western tower with an octagonal broach spire. It has some good stained windows, six ancient brasses, and a pulpit of 1611. It was beautifully restored in 1862 at a cost of £1500.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stifford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stifford from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: