Stanford le Hope, Essex
Stanford-le-Hope, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Thames and the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, on which it has a station, 10 miles SSE of Brentwood. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Acreage, 2518; population, 1093. The manor belongs to the Scratton family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £608 with residence. The church, which stands on rising-ground, is an ancient and interesting edifice of stone in the Norman, Early English, and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled pinnacled tower. A narthax, comprising vestries for choir and priest and a porch, were added to the W front in 1891. A lych gate was also built the same year. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Standford-Le-Hope St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanford le Hope from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: