Stambourne, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 8½ miles E by N of Yeldham station on the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., and 10 NW of Halstead. It has a post office under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Great Yeldham. Acreage, 2204; population of the civil parish, 438; of the ecclesiastical, 385. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Fry family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £184 with residence. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, with a massive embattled western tower of Norman date. There is a Congregational chapel. Stambourne Green and Westley End are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stamborne St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stambourne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stamborne (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Stambourne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: