Southchurch, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the Thames' mouth, 1 ¼ mile E of Southend stations on the G.E.R. and the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and has a post office under Southend; money order and telegraph office, Southend. Acreage, 1732; population, 909. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £550 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is a small building of stone in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southchurch from the following:
Online maps of Southchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: