South Benfleet, Essex
Benfleet, South, a parish in Essex, on the coast, including part of Canvey Island, and on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, at Benfleet station, 4 milea SSW of Rayleigh. It has a post, money order, and. telegraph office (8.0.) Acreage, 1947 land and 42 of foreshore and water; population, 576. A strong castle was huilt here by the famous Danish pirate Hastings, and taken and destroyed by Alfred the Great. The waters on the coast were celebrated for oysters. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £128 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is a fine structure with a nave of the 12th and chancel and porch of the 15th century. The tower contains some Norman work.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Benfleet St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Benfleet from the following:
Online maps of South Benfleet are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: