Snaresbrook, a village in Wanstead parish, Essex, on the Woodford Road and the G.E.R., on which it has a station, and 7 ½ miles NE of St Paul's, London. There is a large pond or lake of about 10 ¼ acres in extent, known as the Eagle Pond, which is now secured as public property, and which is much resorted to by anglers in the fishing season and by skaters in winter. The Eagle Hotel, which stands at the E end of the lake, is a well-known pleasure resort, and has some large gardens. On the S side of the lake stands the well-known Wanstead Infant Orphan Asylum, which was originally founded at Hackney in 1827 by Dr Andrew Reid, and which was removed here in 1843, the foundation stone of the present building having been laid in 1841 by the late Prince Consort. The asylum is a fine building of brick in the Elizabethan style, capable of accommodating 700 children. The Merchant Seamen's Orphan Asylum at Snaresbrook stands on the right of the Woodford Road near the railway station, was originally established in 1827 at St Georges-in-the East, and has now accommodation for 300 children.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: