Silvertown, a portion of West Ham parish, Essex, adjacent to the North Woolwich branch of the G.E.R., on which it has a station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office in the Eastern Metropolitan Postal District. Population, 7676. It derives its name from the Messrs Silver, who established here the large india-rubber, gutta-percha, and telegraph works now carried on by a limited company. There are also some sugar refineries, jam factories, soap and chemical works, and works belonging to the Gas Light and Coke Company. A large part of the Victoria and the Royal Albert Docks are in this parish, which can only be entered by crossing a swing bridge over each of these docks, by the railway which runs through the tunnel under the docks, or by the ferry over the Thames to Woolwich. It is included with some other portions of East and West Ham in the ecclesiastical parish of St Mark, which was formed in 1864. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £410 with residence, in the gift of the Corporation of London. The church, which was erected in 1863 at a cost of about £8000, is a building of brick in the Decorated style. There are Roman Catholic, Baptist, and Presbyterian chapels.
Online maps of Silvertown are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: