Shoebury Fort or Shoeburyness, a place in South Shoebury parish, Essex, on Shoebury Ness, 3 ½ miles N by W of the Nore light. It has a station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, called Shoeburyness, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) Here is H.M. School of Gunnery, where officers and non-commissioned officers are trained in theoretical and practical gunnery. Here also guns are tested and experiments are made with armour plates, fortifications, new explosives, and projectiles. The sands off Shoeburyness are of immense extent, and the ranges extend from 1000 to 7000 yards. The National Artillery Association holds its annual meeting here in August, when detachments of volunteer artillery come into camp and compete for prizes. The name Shoebury occurred in the Saxon times, and was then written Schoebirig.
Online maps of Shoeburyness are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: