Shenfield, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the G.E.R., on which it has a station, 1 mile NE of Brentwood, and dates from at least the time of Edward the Confessor. It has a post office under Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Brentwood. The parish comprises 2459 acres; population of the civil parish, 1520; of the ecclesiastical, 1160. There is a parish council consisting of nine members, and there are several good residences. The manor of Fitzwalters was formerly held on the tenure of presenting gilt spurs at the king's coronation. Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £435 with residence. Patron, Earl Cowper. The church, which was restored and enlarged in 1863 and 1868, and again enlarged in 1887, is a building of brick and rough-cast in the Early English style. The great feature of the church is a row of oak columns, inserted in the 15th century, supporting the roof.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shenfield St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shenfield from the following:
Online maps of Shenfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: