Shellow Bowells, Essex
Shellow Bowells (formerly Shellow Boville), a village and a parish in Essex, 6 miles NE of Ongar station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order office, Willingale Doe; telegraph office, Boxwell-Chelmsford. Acreage, 469; population, 107. The manor belongs to the Bramston family. The living is a rectory, annexed to Willingale Doe, in the diocese of St. Albans. The church is a brick building, erected in 1754, consisting of chancel and nave, in good repair, with wooden belfry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shellow-Bowels St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shellow Bowells from the following:
Online maps of Shellow Bowells are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: