Shalford, a parish, with a small village, in Essex, on the river Pant, 4 ½ miles NNW of Braintree station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Braintree; money order and telegraph office, Wethersfield. Acreage, 2472; population, 633. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor, with Abbots Hall, belongs to the Marriott family. Shalford Hall, Sheering Hall, and Redfants have each their historical interest Shalford Hall and Manor is locally reported to have formed part of the dowry of Anne of Cleves. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £233 with residence. Patrons, the Bishop of St Albans and Dean and Chapter of Bath and Wells alternately. The church, which is an ancient building of flint and stone in the Decorated style, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower and a peal of five bells. It has a brass of 1537, and some ancient tombs and monuments. There is a chapel of ease at Jaspers Green, and a Congregational chapel at Shalford Green.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shalford St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shalford from the following:
Online maps of Shalford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: