Sandon, Essex

Historical Description

Sandon or Sandown, a parish, with a village, in Essex, on an affluent of the Chelmer, 3 miles SE of Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Chelmsford, money order and telegraph office, Great Baddow. Acreage, 2408; population, 476. The manor belongs to the Lovibond family, who are chief landowners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £485 with residence. Patron, Queen's College, Cambridge. The church is a building of rubble consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled tower of brick. It contains a brass of 1587, and some ancient tombs and memorials. The tower and S porch are Tudor in style, and supposed to be the work of Cardinal Wolsey, who was lord of the manor. There is a Congregational chapel. Butts Green and Howe Green are adjacent hamlets. Dr Walton, editor of the Polyglot Bible and afterwards Bishop of Chester, was rector from 1635 till he was deposed by the Commonwealth in 1641. He was restored to the rectorship in 1660, and consecrated Bishop of Chester in the same year.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Sandon St. Andrew
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sandon from the following:


Online maps of Sandon are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: