Ridding, a village and a parish in Essex, near the river Stort, 2 ¼ miles SW of Newport station on the G.E.R., and 6 N by E of Bishop Stortford. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Quendon. Acreage of parish, 1392; population, 375. There is a parish council of five members. Rickling Hall is an ancient mansion, formerly moated, and a country seat of some importance, but how a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £274 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It has some ancient tombs, a carved oak pulpit of the 14th century, an oak chancel-screen of the 12th century, and an ancient font. There are a parish room and a coffee and reading room.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: