Rayne, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the Bishop Stortford, Dunmow, and Braintree branch of the G.E.R., on which it has a station, 2 miles W of Braintree. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Braintree. The parish comprises 2224 acres; population, 402. The manor belongs to the Earl of Essex. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £404 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Essex. The church was rebuilt in 1840, and is a building of brick in the Tudor style, consisting of chancel with vestry, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It contains some ancient memorials. There are large agricultural implement works, and there is a corn mill on the river Brain or Pod's Brook which flows past the village. Rayne Hall, formerly a seat of the Wells family, is now a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rayne All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rayne from the following:
Online maps of Rayne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: