Ramsey, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a creek of the river Stour, 2 miles W by S of Dover-court station on the G.E.R., and 3 WSW of Harwich, and commands a fine view over the river Stour. It has a post office under Harwich; money order and telegraph office, Great Oakley; and formerly had a fair on 15 June. The parish comprises 4059 acres; population, 1877. There is a parish council which consists of twelve members. There are two manors-Ramsey and Michaelstow. The manor of Ramsey belongs to the Hardy family, and that of Michaelstow to the Garlands. Copperas has been worked near Stourwood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £202 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on a hill, and is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Parkeston, in this parish, has been noticed under Harwich.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ramsey St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ramsey from the following:
Online maps of Ramsey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: