Quendon, a village and a parish in Essex, adjacent to the river Stort and the London and Cambridge railway, 3 miles N by W of Elsenham station, and 2 S from Newport station, both on the G.E.R., and 6 S by W of Saffron Walden. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newport (S.O.) Acreage of parish, 657; population, 171. There is a reading-room in the village. Quendon Hall, a mansion of brick standing in a pleasant deer park, is a seat of the Byng family, who are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £124 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1861, and is a small building of flint, stone, and rubble in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quendon from the following:
Online maps of Quendon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: