Purleigh or Purley, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on an eminence amidst very pleasant surroundings, 2 miles NW from Cold Norton station on the Maldon branch of the G.E.R., and 4 S from Maldon. It has a fair on 15 June, and a post office under Maldon; money order and telegraph office, Maldon. The parish comprises 5794 acres; population of the civil parish, 858; of the ecclesiastical, 851. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Howe Green, half a mile S, was a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury. A police station is near Latchingdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, and until 1882 was annexed to the provostship of Oriel College, Oxford; net value, £400 with residence. Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church, which stands on an eminence with a fine view, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. A Congregational chapel is at Howe Green, and there is an endowed school with £30 a year. Cocklarks is a hamlet 1 ½ mile W.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Purleigh All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Purley from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: