Pitsea, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near a creek of the Thanie, and near the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, 5 miles WSW of Rayleigh, and has a station on the railway. The parish is mainly peninsulated by creeks, and includes part of Canvey Island. It has a post office under Bowers Gifford (S.O,); money order office, Bowers Gifford; telegraph office, at the railway station. Acreage, 1693; population, 235. The parish council consists of five members. The manor was held at the Norman Conquest by Ulneva, the wife of Phin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300. The church stands on a knoll, commanding a fine view of the surrounding country and the Thames, and is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chance!, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pitsea St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pitsea from the following:
Online maps of Pitsea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: