Pentlow, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 1 mile S from Cavendish station on the Sudbury and Haverhill branch of the G.E.R., and 5 ½ miles NW from Sudbury. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Cavendish. Acreage, 1898; population, 316. There is a parish council consisting of five members. An octagonal tower was erected in the rectory grounds in 1859 by the Rev. R. Bull to the memory of his father; is a fine structure in the Tudor style; and commands an extensive panoramic view, which includes about forty-six churches The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300 with residence. The church is an ancient and interesting building of flint in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of apsidal chancel with N chapel, nave, S porch y and an embattled round tower at the W end. It has an Early Norman font and some ancient tombs and monuments. The nave and chancel have been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pentlow St. George|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pentlow from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: