Peldon or Peltington, Essex
Peldon or Peltington, a parish in Essex, near Mersea Island, 4 ½ miles SW of Wivenhoe station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., and 7 ½ S by W of Colchester, with a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, West Mersea. Acreage, 2252; population, 437. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £330 with residence. The church stands on an eminence, with commanding view, on the site of a more ancient building recorded in Domesday Book, is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower. It was restored in 1859, and then found to include remains of an Early Norman church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Peldon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Peldon or Peltington from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: