Panfield or Pantfield, Essex
Panfield or Pantfield, a parish, with a pleasant village, in Essex, near the river Pant, 3 miles NW by N of Braintree station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Braintree. Acreage, 1498; population, 273. Panfield Hall was built in 1546, is a fine structure with square tower and clustered chimneys, and is now occupied as a farmhouse. A Benedictine priory was built about half a mile N of the church in 1250; was a cell to Caen Abbey in Normandy; came to the Crown in 1460; was given at the dissolution to Sir Giles Capel; and has left no remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £380 with residence. The church, a small building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, is a handsome edifice, and was beautifully restored in 1858.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Panfield St. Mary and St. Christopher|
|Poor Law union||Braintree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Panfield or Pantfield from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: