Paglesham, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 1 ½ mile W of the E end of Wallasea Island, 5 miles NE by E of Rochford station on the G.E.R., and 9 NE by N of Southend station on the G.E.R. and London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. It has a post office under Rochford (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Rochford. The parish contains also the hamlet of East End, and a part of Wallasea Island called Grapnells. Acreage, 2017 ; population, 491. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. The manor was given in 1066 by Ingulf to Westminster Abbey. Oyster fishing is largely carried on, large quantities being exported to France and Holland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church, a building of brick and stone in the Perpendicular style, consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. The rectory house was built in 1862, and the church was restored in 1883 and reseated in 1894. There is a church mission-room at East End.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Paglesham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Rochford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Paglesham from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: