Ovington, a parish in Essex, near the river Stour at the boundary with Suffolk, 2 miles S by W of Clare station on the G.E.R., and 7 E of Haverhill. It appears on record so early as the time of Edward the Confessor, and it includes the quondam parish of Belchamp St Ethelbert. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Clare (R.S.O.) Acreage, 688: population of the civil parish, 123; of the ecclesiastical, 286. Ovington Hall is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory, united with the rectories of Belchamp St Ethelbert and Tilbury, and with the chapelry of Allbrights,. in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £400 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and. a western tower of wood with spire. It was restored in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Risbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ovington from the following:
Online maps of Ovington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: