Orsett, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 4 miles NE from Grays station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 9 ½ S by E of Brentwood. It is a seat of petty sessions, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grays. The parish comprises 4246 acres; population, 1379. Most of the property, with Orsett Hall, belongs to the Whitmore family, who are lords of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £423 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of flint and stone consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle with transept and chancel, S porch, and a western tower surmounted by a short spire. It has a fine Norman doorway, and an elegant oak screen of the 14th century divides the N chapel from the aisle. There are a large marble tomb and some ancient brasses and memorials. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a literary institute. The workhouse of the Orsett Union is in this parish, and is a large building which was erected in 1837, and has capacity for 200 inmates. The charities belonging to the parish are worth about £150 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Orsett St. Giles and All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Orsett from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
Online maps of Orsett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: