North Weald Bassett, Essex
Weald Bassett, North, a parish in Essex, with a village, two hamlets, and a station on the Ongar branch of the G.E.R., 3 miles NE of Epping. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Epping. Acreage, 3423; population, 1117 There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £830 with residence. The church, standing in the centre of the parish, is a building of brick and rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, S aisle, chantry or Lady chapel, and an embattled western tower. At Hastingwood, a hamlet about 2 miles NE, a chapel of ease was erected in 1864.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Weald St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Weald Bassett from the following:
Online maps of North Weald Bassett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: