Netteswell or Nettleswell, a parish, with a village, in Essex, 1 mile S of Burnt Mill station on the G.E.R., 2 miles S of the river Stort at the boundary with Herts, 2 SSW of Harlow, and 5 N from Epping. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Netteswell Cross, under Harlow. Acreage, 1552; population, 555. The manor was given by Harold II. to Waltham Abbey, and now belongs to the Phelips family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £135 with residence. The church, which is a small plain building of stone, consists of nave and chancel, with wooden turret and spire, and it contains some curious ornamental brickwork and some ancient brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Netteswell from the following:
Online maps of Netteswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: