Mucking (anciently written Mokking), a parish in Essex, adjacent to the Thames,and on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, three-quarters of a mile S by W of Stanford-le-Hope station, 2 ¾ miles ESE of Orsett, and 5 ½ E of Grays. It contains the hamlet of Mucking Ford, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Stanford-le-Hope. Acreage, 2118; population, 251. The manor formerly belonged to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's, but is now the property of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. A nunnery, a cell to Barking Abbey, was formerly here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £277 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church was largely and carefully rebuilt and restored in 1852, the work being completed in 1887, and is a fine building in the Early English style, the ancient part dating from 1170., The parish is mentioned in the Domesday book as Mucinga, and also in a still earlier chronicle. The name "Mucking" signifies " much grass."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mucking St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Orsett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mucking from the following:
Online maps of Mucking are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: