Mountnessing, a village and an ancient parish in Essex. The village stands on a branch of the river Wid, 2 miles S by W of Ingatestone station on the G.E.R.. and 3 ½ NE of Brentwood. The parish has a post and money order office under Brentwood; telegraph office, Hutton. Acreage, 4206; population, 912. Thoby Priory was founded in 1141 for Augustinian canons by Michael Capra Roisi, had at the dissolution an income estimated at £75, and has left some remains. A mansion, bearing the name of Thoby Priory, is a seat of the Arkwright family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £124 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church, which was repaired and restored in 1890, is an ancient building of brick in the Early English style, having a curious bell-cot built up from the ground with a massive framework of oak timber. There is a small iron church, which was erected in 1873 as a chapel of ease to the parish church, and also a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mountnessing St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mountnessing from the following:
Online maps of Mountnessing are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: