Moreton, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Roding, 1 ½ mile N from the road from Epping to Ongar,3 miles N by W of Ongar station on the G.E.R., and 6 ¼ NE of Epping. It has a post office under Chipping Ongar; money order and telegraph office, Cliipping Ongar. The parish comprises 1475 acres; population, 428. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Alger family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £262 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is a plain building of flint and brick, with brick tower and shingled spire. It has an ancient carved stone font and a monument of 1623. There are a Congregational chapel, a national school, endowed with £23 a year, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Moreton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ongar|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moreton from the following:
Online maps of Moreton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: