Mashbury, a village and a parish in Essex, 5 ½ miles NW of Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. Post town, Chelms-ford; money order office, High Easter; telegraph office, Great Waltham. Acreage, 898; population of the civil parish, 154; of the ecclesiastical, with Chignall, 357. Mash-bnry Hall and Mashbury House are farmhouses. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Chignall, in the diocese of St Albans; joint gross value, £430. The church is a small but ancient building of rubble of the Norman period. The belfry, injured by lightning in 1872, was rebuilt in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mashbury from the following:
Online maps of Mashbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: