Markshall, a parish in Essex, 2 miles N by W of Coggeshall, and 5 N from Kelvedon station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Coggeshall, under Kelvedon. Acreage, 813; population, 50. The manor was held at the Conquest by Nigel under the Montforts; then by the De Meres or Merkshalls from the time of Henry II. till Queen Elizabeth's time; passed to the Coles, the Deraughs, and in 1605 was purchased by the Honywoods, to whom, with Marks Hall, it still belongs. The ball is a large edifice in the Tudor style, standing in a well-timbered deer park, and has a portrait of General Honywood on horseback by Gainsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £150 with residence. The church, which adjoins the hall, was rebuilt in 1876 by Mrs Honywood as a memorial of her husband.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Markshall St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Witham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Markshall from the following:
Online maps of Markshall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: