Marks Tey, Essex
Marks Tey, a parish in Essex, on the G.E.R., at the junction of the line forking to Sudbury and to Halstead, 5 miles W of Colchester, and 4 E from Coggeshall. It has a station at the railway junction, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 1180 ; population of the civil parish, 431; of the ecclesiastical, 485. Marks Tey Hall was an ancient moated mansion, and part of the moat still remains. The living,is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £365 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and rubble, consisting of chancel, nave, S porch, and wooden bell-tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marks Tey All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marks Tey from the following:
Online maps of Marks Tey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: