Maldon, a municipal borough and market-town in Essex, at the influx of the river Chelmer to the Blackwater estuary, 44 ½ miles from London by rail (37 ½ by road), 5 ½ SE from Witham, &nd 10 E by S from Chelmsford, and with two stations on the G.E.R. It was anciently called Idumania, and it was thought by Camden and Horsley, but on very insufficient evidence, to have been the Camalodunum of the Romans. Two Roman coins, the one of Vespasian, the other of Nero and Agrippina, were found at it, and a large quantity of pottery and other Roman remains were found whilst making the railway from Maldon. An ancient oblong entrenchment, enclosing about 24 acres, and still partly traceable, was on its W side; and is alleged to have been occupied by successively the Romans, the Saxons, and the Danes, but cannot be fairly regarded as of earlier date than the early part of the 10th century. Edward the Elder took post here in 913 to impede the progress of the Danes while a fortification was in course of construction at Witham; and he, most probably, was the originator of the ancient entrenchment. He again took post here in 920; he is said by Marianus to have then fortified the town; and he sustained and resisted a siege here in the following year by the Danes. The Danes, under Unlaff, again attacked the town in 993, and captured it. A small Carmellite priory was founded here about 1291 by Richard de Gravesande, Bishop of London, and continued till the dissolution. A lepers' hospital was founded, at some unrecorded period, by one of the kings of England, and was annexed in 1410 to Beeleigh Abbey, 1 mile to the W. The remains of this abbey, which was founded in 1180 for Pre-monstratensian canons by Robert de Mantel, comprise the Early English chapter-house, the undercroft of the refectory, and a portion of the canon-house. In the refectory there is a fragment of a tomb-canopy, possibly that of Henry Bourchier, first Earl of Essex and Earl of En in Normandy, Lord Treasurer of England, and his wife Lady Isabel Neville, sister of Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York, who was buried here in 1483. Archdeacon Plume, the founder of the Plumian professorship of astronomy at Cambridge, and John Rogers Herbert, R.A., were natives. The Earl of Essex takes from Maldon the title of Viscount.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Maldon from the following:
Online maps of Maldon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: