Loughton, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the E side of Epping Forest, and on the G.E.B., 1 mile W of the river Boding, 11 ¼ miles NE from London, 4 SW from Epping, and 5 SE from Waltham Abbey. It has two stations on the railway, one called Loughton, and another at Chigwell Lane, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It occupies a very pleasant and salubrious site overlooking the Boding Valley; is within 1 mile from the centre of the forest, consists chiefly of one long street diverging off the high road from Woodford to Epping, contains numerous high-class villas, and is supplied with superior educational establishments both for girls and boys. Acreage of the civil parish, 3 961; population, 3880; of the ecclesiastical, with St John, 1361. The manor belonged to Waltham Abbey. Loughton Hall was a residence of Queen Anne in her father's lifetime, and was destroyed by fire in 1836. The ecclesiastical parish is now divided between the old parish church of St John the Baptist and the new district of St Maiy the Virgin. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £425 with residence. The old church stood nearly a mile from the village. The church of St John the Baptist, erected in 1846 near the centre of the village, is a cruciform building of brick in the Norman st} 1c. The church of St Nicholas, erected in 1877, stands partly on the site of the ancient church, and is a building of rubble in the Early English style. It contains some ancient tombs and brasses which were removed from the old church. The church of St Mary the Virgin, erected in 1871, is a building of stone in the Early English style. The living of St Mary is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £190, in the gift of the Bector of Loughton. There are also an iron mission chapel and Union and Wesleyan chapels. Other buildings are a good public hall, erected in 1883, called the Lopping Hall, and assigned to the Commissioners of the Forest in part compensation for the loss of their rights of lopping, a metropolitan police station, and six almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Loughton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Epping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Loughton from the following:
Online maps of Loughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: