Littlebury, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Cam and on an ancient Roman road, adjacent to the G.E.R., 2 miles N of Audley End station, and 1 ½ mile W of Saffron Walden, and has a post and money order office under Saffron Walden; telegraph office, Saffron Walden. The civil parish contains also the hamlets of Littlebury Green and Catmere End, and comprises 3537 acres; population, 777. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the hamlets of Littlebury Green and North End; population, 710. The manor belonged in the 9th century to a monastery in tho Isle of Ely, was given by Queen Elizabeth to Sutton the founder of the Charterhouse, and passed to the Earls of Bristol. It now belongs with most of the land to Lord Braybrooke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £248 with residence. Patron, Lord Braybrooke. The church stands within the area of a Roman camp ; is of considerable antiquity, plain and good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains four brasses from 1520. The church was restored in 1870-71, and the chancel rebuilt in 1875. There is a chapel of ease at Littlebury Green. There arc a working men's reading-room and an endowed school. Winstanley, who built the first Eddystone-lighthouse, and perished in it, was a native. The parish council consists of seven members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Littlebury Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Littlebury from the following:
Online maps of Littlebury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: