Little Oakley, Essex
Oakley, Little, a parish in Essex, 2 miles NE of Great Oakley, 3 ½ SE of Wrabness station, and 3 from Dovercourt station on the Harwich and Manningtree branch of the G.E.R. It has a post office under Harwich; money order and telegraph office, Great Oakley. Acreage, 1218; population, 305. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Rowley family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £260 with residence. The church, which is an ancient building of rubble, comprises Decorated English nave and chancel and Later English tower, which, having fallen into decay and become unsafe, had to be taken down to the level of the nave roof, and contains a good modern stone reredos and a font. The priest's door in the chancel is pierced through a buttress, a very unusual feature in church architecture. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Oakley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Oakley from the following:
Online maps of Little Oakley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: