Little Leighs, Essex
Leighs, Little, a parish in Essex, on the river Ter, about 5 miles SW from Braintree station on the G.E.R., and 7 NNE from Chelmsford. Post town, Chelmsford; money order office, Felsted; telegraph office, Great Leighs. Acreage, 1079; population, 115. A priory of Black canons was founded here in the time of Henry III. by Ralph de Gernon, was given at the dissolution to Sir Richard Rich, was converted by him into a splendid mansion, passed to the Duke of Buckingham, belongs now to Guy's Hospital, and has left extensive and interesting remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £385 with residence. The church is a small but very ancient building in the Early Norman style, dating probably from the llth century. It has an ancient tomb upon which lies the full length recumbent figure of a priest wearing the eucharistic vestments, which is carved out of a solid log of oak. Only one other ancient wooden ecclesiastical effigy, viz., that of the Abbot of Darley in All Saints' Church, Derby, is known to exist in England.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Leighs St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Chelmsford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Leighs from the following:
Online maps of Little Leighs are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: