Little Hallingbury, Essex
Hallingbury, Little, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Stort, the G.E.R., and the-boundary with Herts, 3 miles SSE from Bishops Stortford, which is the nearest railway station, and has a post office under Bishops Stortford; money order and telegraph office, Hatfield Heath. The parish comprises 1656 acres; population, 611. The manor was known at Domesday as Hallingbury Brunker or Bourchier; and belonged to Bourchier, Earl of Essex. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £275 with residence. Patron, the Charterhouse, London. The church comprises nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a turret, and is very good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Hallingbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Hallingbury from the following:
Online maps of Little Hallingbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: